The Old Rugged Cross - Bennard
C C0 C F F0 F D G7 C
1) On a hill far a -way stood an old rug -ged cross, the em -blem of suffering and shame;
2) O that old rugged cross, so des -pised by the world, Has a wondrous at-traction for me;
3) In the old rugged cross, stained with blood so divine, A wond-rous beaut -y I see;
4) To the old rugged cross I will ev -er be true, Its shame and reproach gladly bear;
C0 C F F0 F D G7 C
1) And I love that old cross where the dear -est and best for a world of lost sinners was slain.
2) For the dear lamb of God left His glor -y a -bove, To bear it on dark Cal –va -ry.
3) For ‘twas on that old cross Jesus suf -fered and died, To par -don and sanc –ti -fy me.
4) Then He’ll call me someday to His home far a -way, Where His glor-y forever I’ll share.
G C G7 C F C
So I’ll cher -ish the old rugged cross, Till my tro -phies at last I lay down;
F C G7 C G7 C
I will cling to the old rugged cross, And ex -change it some -day for a crown.