D A7 D G D
1) There was no crown for Him of sil - ver or of gold;
2) He did not reign up - on a throne of i –vo– ry,
3) No pur-ple robe He wore, His bleeding wounds to hide;
A7 Bm A7 F#m Aaug D
1) there was no di – a - dem for Him to hold.
2) but died up -on the cross of Cal -va -ry.
3) but stripes up -on His back He wore with pride.
A7 D A7 D G D
1) But blood a-dorned His brow and proud His stain He bore;
2) For sin-ners there, He count - ed all He owned but loss;
3) And from the wounds there flowed a crimson, clean-ing stream,
A7 Bm A7 F#m A7 D
1) and sin - ners gave to Him the crown He wore.
2) and He sur-veyed His king-dom from a cross.
3) that was a cov- er for the soul un -clean.
G D A7 Bm A D
A rugged cross became His throne; His kingdom was in hearts a - lone.
A7 D G D A7 D
He wrote His love in crimson red; And wore the thorns upon His head.